Sunday, April 19, 2009

Thoughts

1. The Japanese love their masks:
They wear them when they catch a cold, in busy places (trains, work), and for allergies. I got a bit sick along with allergies, so I bought one. After I put it on, I didn't have to wipe my nose anymore.

2. Tokyo is very non-Japanese:
I expected that living in Tokyo, I would be exposed to a lot of cultural and Japanese-ness. It's quite the opposite. I live in a new neighborhood, so there are no traditional houses. I commute into Tokyo, which is ultra-metropolitan. The only places to see Japanese culture are the tourist areas of Tokyo. Kyoto is still my favorite city.

3. The food is great: I've never had a non-delicious meal yet.
4. You don't see beer vending machines anymore. Japan is trying to cut down on underage drinking.




I had a busy weekend so I wasn't able to update in the past few days. I went to Hakone on Saturday and got some cool shots. I'll update as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment