Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tokyo Giants vs. Yokohama Baystars

Went to school today for lunch. Got this for 400 yen! it was mighty tasty! I think my favorite restaurant in Tokyo has to be our school cafeteria.

Some of our dorm mates went to the Tokyo Giants game in Yokohama.

Yokohama baystars suck. the score was 12-1.

The teams each had a team of cheerleaders.

My dorm mate Roy decided it would be a great idea to bring his horn along. This ended up being a bad idea since the cheering in Japanese baseball is very systematic and organized. You only cheer/be loud when your team is up to bat. Therefore, Roy would randomly blow his loud horn and almost ALL the Japanese people around us would look and give us a funny stare. After an hour or so, a policeman came and politely told him to stop by giving him the crossed fingers for "dame". He told us that is messed up the beat of the chants.

The Japanese form of cheering is in short chants and songs that get very repetitive after a while. Have a look. This chant went on for more than 10 minutes.

During the time between these songs, everyone is almost completely silent. It was weird being in such a quiet stadium.
This was the cheer after someone scored.


I've lost around 6 lbs since I've been here and I have no idea why I'm losing weight. I eat the same amount, but walk almost 3 times more than in Seattle. Also, the food we eat is healthier and more nutritious. Another reason why is maybe because I take an ofuro bath every night. We have a public bath that all the guys use in the dorm. You go in naked, wash yourself, and then soak in the giant tub. After 30 minutes or so, all the muscles in your body become numb from being so relaxed. My skin is clearer too. All of us exchange students think the public bath is the best part about Japan.

3 comments:

  1. travis I love your blog. The food looks great. Thanks for checking in on Alex.
    D. Fujinaka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis,
    Thanks for sharing.
    I'm a little bummed from looking at, but not being able to eat, all that food. ;D
    Hope your semester goes smooth and make sure to check in with your Mom now and then!
    Love,
    Uncle T

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. i like how you say you have no idea why you've lost 6 pounds and then state why you think you've lost so much weight... hahaha. loser.

    ReplyDelete